Monday, August 10, 2009

MASTER COMMUNICATOR



I wasn't even considering attending Semi-Permanent this year due to the hefty ticket price of $250. That was until I discovered that graphic design great David Carson was in the Saturday line up.

It's a bit of a cliche that most young graphic artists, myself included, boast that Carson is their favourite designer. My 7th form art teacher introduced my design class to him during bursary and pretty much everyone tried to imitate his innovative style with wayward typography overlapping a fractured photograph. Or if you were short on time, a variety of different typefaces kerned out all over the show with lots of "white space" always brought home some good marks.

Teacher:
"Hmmm, this seems a little unfinished to me"
Student:
Well actually, Sir, all these areas are purposeful "white space".
Teacher:
"Oh. That's very David Carson. Good work!"

David Carson is an American graphic designer who is best known for his innovative magazine layout design and use of experimental typography. Carson is considered one of the most influential graphic designers of the nineties. His signature style lead to him being dubbed the "father of grunge"

So with that in mind, I will eagerly be rocking up to the Aotea Centre clad in plaid and ripped jeans to sit there quietly and listen to a master of visual communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment